Sunday, February 26, 2006

Taking things down - removing the extras





I took alot of the hardware off the chair. Pretty much everything I was going to take off it that was bolted down is off. I have not decided yet if I am going to chop and modify the frame. The X bars give it some rigidity but bring the center of mass up for anything I would put on it. The batteries do keep the center of mass low and take alot of space underneath, so it might not be possible to make space lower anyway. I may just try making a enclosure or more likely use a old appliance case, maybee a old flat under monitor pc case.

The Anderson SB 50 connectors work but the new ones are a little hard to connect/disconnect. I think that they are only designed for cold battery connect/disconnect.

The battery tray is 8" wide by 12.5" Long. It takes two 12 v sealed gel cell batteries, connected in series so the motor controller sees the full 24 volts. The batteries that came with it were dead so to test it, I put in two old batteries from a ferrups ups. They hold a charge but I am pretty sure that they are near the end of their useful life. I am going to try to find some decent sealed gel cell motion application batteries. I don't know a whole lot about what makes a decent battery but within brand and type I will be looking for the best cost/ah. There appears to be a big jump in cost as you go up in size, probably because of the extra shipping costs of large/heavy items.

Their rating is 12v 17 ah/20hr. That is less than half the OEM battery, which is rated at 12v 40ah. I don't plan on doing a lot of hard running anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home